Sunday, December 12, 2010

Video Art: Insomnia



I was really nervous to do this project. I was in fear that I would do it all wrong because I have a lack of video experience and technique. When thinking of a topic to center my video art around, I wanted it to be on an issue that somehow related to me. I thought what better topic than insomnia….it’s finals week. I focused my video on insomnia and the delusions a person would get when going without sleep for long periods of time. Since my video skills aren’t up to par, I tried to make up for it by creating a mix of songs that sounded trippy/delusional to go along with my video. The most difficult part was to try and match the music with what was taking place in the video. Although I wasn’t very good at it, I really enjoyed this project and it really opened my eyes to viewing video as art. This project makes me want to further my understanding and skills with video art, and I definitely want to continue working with it.

8 comments:

  1. Very cool performance. I love the mixed music, that keeps looping. It really combines well with the piece. Very distorted in an insomia like way.

    You really did a great job with the burn out effect with the candle, and adding the mixing drink and ring/coin? My other favorite parts where how you created a whiteout and blackout effect with the phone.

    Only thing I comment on is I wish to hear louder audio sound coming from the TV intro to create more ambience feeling, as well as keeping everything real in time.

    Be sure to keep this. This can help you in your portfolio (and ADPR career), and keep on using these idealisms in your projects, even if you skills aren't par.

    You will be surprised that experimenting for the first time sometimes has the best results than years of experience.

    Anyway great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so awesome!!! That was great :) I too wish the audio was a bit louder, I know how hard it can be to equalize that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great name and theme to your video! The music really worked with the video... I really liked that you did it backwards. The hallucination was wonderful! Great job!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This video was so siiiiiick. I loved the video filter effects used to make the city boe out and come back in. Insomnia was a great title. Definitely one of my favorite of your works you've done in this class. Way to go girrrrrl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, I loved this. The intro with the clock, the pills and such was awesome. it was like looking through the eyes of a drugged person which was an interesting take.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what you did with editing is made this so interesting. like santi said, it's something we can all relate to, and you created an effective visual to illustrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were so nervous to show your but seeing yours made me nervous haha! I think your project was great and definitely defined insomnia in such a creative but true way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your project was really good. great editing job and the music u chose work great with the video. Overall very successful attempt.

    ReplyDelete