Sunday, November 28, 2010

Performance Art

For my video project, I decided to show how easy technology has made it for us to communicate with another person in public without actually talking. In the video my brother and I went into Mcdonald's on a Sunday morning when it was really crowded. We arranged it look like we were on a date and everyone around us thought everything was perfectly normal until we started communicating using the computer programs Microsoft Sam (my brothers voice) and Microsoft Anna( my voice). This almost reminded me of online dating in a way. I was really pleased with this project and how it turned out because at first I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. The only thing I was disappointed about was that because of all of the background noice, it is difficult to hear my computer talking throughout  the film. I posted the script that my brother and I used below. I hope you enjoy it!
Taylor: Hi Ryan it’s so good to see you! I have missed you so much!
Ryan: Hi Taylor. I missed you too. How do you like going to school in Tampa?
Taylor: I like it a lot, I just wish that I was going to school a little bit closer to home.
Ryan: Yes. I know what you mean. Me mom and dad miss you around the house.
Taylor: Anyways. How is eighth grade going for you?
Ryan: It is good. It is a lot of work though. But I have a ton of friends.
Taylor: That is so good to hear. What are your plans for the rest of the day?
Ryan: I wanted to go to the movies to see the new movie Due Date with the guy that’s in the movie the hangover.
Taylor: Oh that’s great! I wanted to see that too. Maybe we could go together.
Ryan: Yes. I would love that. I will look up the times and we can figure something out.
Taylor: Perfect.
Ryan: Did you want to get some breakfast?
Taylor: No thank you. I already ate. I just came here to meet with you. You can get some food if you want.
Ryan: I’m okay. I’m so glad that you decided to meet me here. We need to plan another date like this the next time you are home on break.
Taylor: Yes definitely. The next time I’m coming home is December sixteenth and I will be home for a whole month. Isn’t that great
Ryan: Yes that will give us plenty of time to catch up and spend some time together.
Taylor: I know. I can’t wait!
Ryan: Well I have to get going. I will call you later about the movie times.
Taylor: Alright. Take care. I will talk to you soon.
Ryan: Bye.
Taylor: Bye Ryan.



6 comments:

  1. This was a great way to relate performance art to technology. In todays society much of conversation is done through text, email, ect so your project brilliantly tied that theory in. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good performance of technology. You captured the concept perfectly.

    The conversation really brought up Stephen Hawking nostalgia. The idea of your performance was indeed pretty cool between you and your brother. Loved the connected flow of the voice script and precise input of taking turns. The woman telling you about better connection was a good tidbit too. Her reaction to your performance was indeed interesting.

    I imagine what would be pretty cool is having a small network of four to six friends doing this in one area. That would be interesting. Imagine playing a small shared LAN based network between friends and chatting this way while playing poker or online texting.

    Great Job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you make a really good point with your performance. when is our dependence on or integration with technology crossing the line? a great concept; there is much room to expand on this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really liked your project idea, but i wish that you maybe would have explored a more taboo quiet place to visit. maybe starbucks or a library? the technology voice is just too priceless to be covered over by chatter. also wish you could have been having a cyber sex conversation, but great job taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking through the computer was such a great idea. I wish you were in a quieter place so we'd be able to hear what you guys were saying to each other... imagine doing this in a library! But the place you picked (McDonalds) was a very interesting place. It was out of the box but you could definitely step out some more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was neat, its a shame that you can't hear the audio in the footage you have but just the fact that those people leave as soon as they see the camera come in was great.

    ReplyDelete